You are here: Home - Apprenticeships


You don't build a Business, you build people, and people build your Business.

Overview of Apprenticeships

Apprenticeships are government funded work-based training programmes for people aged 16 -65. The programmes combine on the job training with nationally recognised qualifications.  This means that employees gain essential hands-on work experience whilst also earning a real salary. For an employer, apprenticeships are a great way to build a skilled and motivated workforce, and can support internal succession planning. Employees also gain vital qualifications in English, Maths and IT where they do not already have these.

Apprenticeships can be for people aged 16 - 65, to gain new skills and knowledge for a specific job. Apprenticeships can be for new or current employees.

Myth Busting
Q) Apprenticeships are for people who did not perform well at school –
A)  Apprenticeships are available in a range of levels from 2 up to 7 – from GCSE level at level 2 right through to Masters level equivalent at level 7.

Q) Apprenticeships are low paid –
A)  Apprentices receive a minimum wage; however, many companies may pay more, In the long-term some apprentices also earn more than those of their graduate counterparts.

Q) Apprenticeships are only for school leavers –
A)  Apprenticeships can be carried out at any age! Apprenticeships are not just for those starting out in their career, they can be for people looking for a career change, trying to upskill or perhaps secure a new role.

Q) Apprenticeships do not lead to a full-time job –
A) Whilst there is no guarantee of a permanent position once an apprenticeship is completed, a lot of companies will employ apprentices once their learning period is over.  Having recognised qualifications certainly helps employment prospects!

Benefits to Apprentices
  • Earn while you learn
  • Receive recognised qualifications
  • Gain independence
  • Gain real work experience
  • Improve your employability
  • Develop your skills
  • Discover your earning potential
Benefits to Employers
Apprenticeships can help employers make real improvements to businesses.
  • Reducing training and recruitment costs
  • Developing a skilled, motivated and qualified workforce
  • Improving customer satisfaction
  • Receiving financial return on investment
  • Help support succession plans

The Apprenticeship Levy requires all employers operating in the UK, with a pay bill over £3 million each year to make an investment in Apprenticeships. The Levy is there to be spent on ‘Apprenticeship Training’

As a Levy payer you will have an annual pay bill of over £3 million -
The government has introduced the Apprenticeship Levy to replace the previous central funding of Apprenticeships. It started from April 2017 at a rate of 0.5% of the annual wage bill.

As a non-Levy payer, you will have an annual pay bill of under £3 million. Non-Levy paying employers will share the cost of training and assessing their Apprentices with government. Non-Levy paying employers will pay 5% towards to the cost of Apprenticeship training with the government paying the rest (95%).  If you have an apprentice aged 16-18, there is no co-investment required.

The government have put incentives in place for employers taking on new apprentices into their business.  Please feel free to contact Mandy Priest at the Northern Training Academy to discuss these incentives in more detail.


“I am currently completing a Travel Apprenticeship. I have learnt a range of skills within the travel industry from complex travel arrangements to legal and compliance.”

“An apprenticeship is a great way to get into work. It has given me opportunities to progress whilst gaining recognised qualifications and earning while I learn.”

Useful links :

For all apprenticeships: Government Website

For Travel Apprenticeships:
Business Travel Association
People 1st